Thursday 17 July 2008

I received my CD ages ago, so...

...Here goes:

Track 1

A good start to the album….It starts off kinda spooky - electro background music for Midsommer Murders. Just as you’re expecting John Nettles, a drum beat kicks in and the female vocalist soon follows. She’s got a really interesting, wavering voice that if you were a lazy music reviewer (that’s me!) you’d say was Bjorkesk, if only for the fact that it’s interesting and unusual. Though the song never really threatens to do anything that unexpected, her voice is enough to hold your interest for the rest of the 6 minutes. There are sad tinges to the song and this is always a selling point for me.

Track 2

My favourite song on the album. The intro explodes with guitars, the male vocalist yells angst-ridden lyrics and the chorus is catchy. I love the way the violins kick in half way through the track and I love the quality and energy of the live performance. Who is this band??!!

Track 3

Track 3s a bit country and western for my tastes, but it’s a pretty good song never the less. I’m guessing that this is part of a soundtrack to some western film or other?? If it isn’t then it darn well should be!!

Track 4

I’ve tried a few times with this track but just can’t get excited about it. It ok, but I find it a bit dull and nondescript. So I won’t bother with the descri….snore (I’m sorry)

Track 5

Again, a familiar song!!...and it makes me want to dance around my house. I suppose I would describe it as sounding like an old reggae/soul track but with a few interesting manipulations to the track that make me think that it’s possibly been recently mixed and re-issued. This is only guess work. All I do know is that it’s fabulous!

Track 6

This would be Puretone – Totally Addicted to Base. One of my favourite dance tracks of recent times. How did you know?? Energetic and catchy! I’m dancing like Tyres from Spaced :-)

Track 7

Ah….This would be Natalie Imbruglia – Big Mistake. I know this, cos it’s on the B side of the Torn single that the bro bought. It’s an excellent track and sounds very similar to Alanis Morrisette. One of the rockier Imbruglia tracks and one that made me briefly tempted to buy the album when I first heard it.


Track 8

Funky Stuff!! Again, this track sounds very familiar and I really should know who it is. The only name that comes to mind is Prince. I know deep down that this is waaay wide of the mark, it’s just be the funk factor messing with my head. I like it!!

Track 9

Neat bit of guitar playing in this song. The way the guitar is played shouts 80’s at me but I have no clue who it is!

Track 10

Elbow – Newborn, from the album Asleep at the Back. I’ll be honest, I love some tracks from Elbow (Powder Blue and Any Day Now), I like others but I find most pretty dull. Thankfully, this fits comfortably in the like category.

Track 11

Another 80’s song I’d guess. It’s an ok song, but I can’t really build up much enthusiasm for it. I find it quite chilled but I’m sure the songs aiming for “happy” and "cheerful" rather than “chilled” and it's not really working (i'm just a grumpy guts!). It’s a great song to type and have playing in the background.

Track 12

I like this song and all it’s 80s(??) goodness. The lead vocalist reminds me a bit like Robert Smith the Cure but other than that I have no clue.

Track 14

It’s a lively song, with the guitar and drums kicking in nicely. As the song goes on the guitars and drums fade in and out from being the lead instrument. The lead singers voice is powerful and the song is both catchy and nicely constructed…. This has to be mid to late 90s indie rock. Am I right or am I waaaay wide of the mark??

Track 15

Nice punky edge to this song with excellent high speed drummage! A good track but it’s not got anything particularly exciting that makes me want to go out and buy the back catalogue.

Track 16

I like the song, and this worries me as I keep thinking it might be someone that I shouldn’t admit to liking :-). Ah, the beautiful 80s!! lol (it’s not David Essex is it?? It sounds a little bit like him)

Track 17

Here’s a song that really didn’t excite me in the 2 or 3 minutes of the song but gradually drew me in until I’m dancing the funky gibbon after 4 minutes. I do like the harmonica on this track!

Track 18

Not a bad track, chilled rock which gradually becomes more angsty as it goes along. Quite an enjoyable listen but I wish it wasn’t quite so repetitive. Apparently he’s a “twisted fire starter” though. If this song was made before The Prodigy filled this roll then I’ll let them off. If not, there’s no excuse and the song just grinds at me for that lyric! :-)

All in all a very good compilation. A few songs i could take or leave but isn't this the case with all CDs compiled by someone else?

2 comments:

Del said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Del said...

Well, it's about time you got a review sorted! :o)

1. 'Humming' by Portishead - from the album 'Portishead'. Quite typical of them but a wonderful vocal from Beth Gibbons. Probably my favourite from them after 'Glory Box'
2. 'Revelate' by The Frames - from the album 'Set List'. A live track from one of Ireland's most popular bands. The lead singer Glen Hansard was in the film 'Once'. Ania will be *very* happy that you like this!
3. 'Johnny Remember Me' by John Leyton. Produced by the legendary Joe Meek, this was one of the plethora of '60s 'Death Ditties' - but no Westerns in sight!
4. 'Lonesome Words' by Gruff Rhys from the album 'Candylion'. Chosen because of it's similarity to be previous track...
5. 'Double Barrel ' by Dave & Ansil Collins. Proper '60s ska!
6. You know this.
7. And this!
8. 'Big Bubbles, No Troubles, by Ellis, Beggs and Howard. Some '70s-style (but '80s released) funk, the Beggs in question being Nick Beggs of Kajagoogoo! Did you notice the linguistic continuation of the 'bubbles' theme?
9. 'Big Log' by Robert Plant. It is '80s but not one of his best-known solo tracks.
10. You know this.
11. 'Ultra-Modern Nursery Rhymes' by Terry, Blair and Anouschka - from the album 'Ultra-Modern Nursery Rhymes'. Terry is Terry Hall from The Specials, which surprises a lot of people when they hear it!
12. 'Treason' by The Teardrop Explodes - from the album 'Kilimanjaro'. The lead singer is actually Julian Cope, probably my favourite artists of all time. This was their first single.
13. 'The Other Side Of You' by The Mighty Lemon Drops - from the album 'Happy Head'. TMLD were part of the C86 movement. I always hoped they would be HUGE but never quite broke through. Maybe they were ahead of their time...I think you missed this one out :D
14. 'Stay by the 60ft Dolls - from the album 'The Big 3'. Yep, mid-90s indie from Wales. Another band I hoped would be huge. The lead singer is called Rick Parfitt...
15. 'I Want You' by The Inspiral Carpets. Yes, more '90s indie but from a little later in their career.
16. 'Love Is A Wonderful Colour' by The Icicle Works. It's OK to like this (it's got nothing to do with David Essex!). A classic slice of '80s post-punk power-pop. When I first heard it, I thought it was 'Love Is A Warm Duffel Coat'!
17. 'Sister Rosetta' by Alabama 3 - from the album 'Exile On Coldharbour Lane'. Best known for 'Woke Up This Morning' (the theme from The Sopranos), Alabama 3 are from South London but combine gospel, jazz, techno and country into something quite remarkable.
18. 'Firestarter' by Jimmy Eat World - from the album '1 Love - NME in assoc. with Warchild'. It's a Prodigy cover! The NME asked a number of bands to choose a no.1 to cover for a charity album.

Glad you like a lot of it. Took you long enough ;o)