Wednesday 9 July 2008

I finally got round to reviewing my mix.

Well I got my mix a while ago and although I’ve been listening to it on my computer while I work I didn’t get round to writing a review. Until now. I think I can narrow it down to a couple of possible people, but I don’t know if they’re in this mix exchange or not so I’m not going to say anything!

The artwork is a hand drawn fish in a hat and the album is entitled ‘Pufferfish Presents: Music for Joinees and Stuff’. And now on with the ramblings.

1 – Rufus Wainright – live - ? – not my usual thing but I loves me a big live swing band who know what they’re doing. Might have to go looking for more of his live stuff on t’internet me thinks.

2 – gentlemens samba?! – can only be described as a simply marverlous guide to the finer things in a gentlemans life! Rakishly good humoured and delicately balanced.

3 – Jamie-T? – nice change of style and pace but similar sentiment as first two. Stepping up a gear nicely.

4 – polyphonic spree? – has that ‘big group’ chorus and melody hook that I associate with them.

5 – no idea but I likes it. Has celtic folk/country influences in the guitar and melody I think. Change of theme in lyrics from the other songs

6 – Irish girl singer – I don’t know anything about who it is, quite a nice song with a pretty hook. Doesn’t grab me as much as track 1 and 3 have done so far.

7 - ? – synth and drum led. Reminds me of the Dandy Warhols for some reason but I don’t imagine for a minute that it is them!

8 – Straight Outta Surrey – I have to admit that at this point I googled and found the artist to be Mr B the gentleman rhymer. This track just needs a mix video of classic cricket and the original one.

9 – again, a nice song and not something that I’d turn off, but it doesn’t grab me and make me listen to every little word.

10 – is it wrong that this makes me think of the soundtrack to Team America? Doesn’t really do anything for me this song, sorry!

11 – boogie-woogie bugle boy with jazz trumpet solo - nice change of pace! Back to 40’s swing band style, me likes!

12 - ? – doesn’t do it for me at all this song. A bit too droney-man-with-guitar to get me going. I’m a simple-melody pop-boy at heart it seems!

13 – Patrick Wolf – magic position – the third song on this mix that I know and I’ve watched some of his stuff from festivals last year. I have to say this song is better recorded than I’ve seen him do live. Its quite a fun bouncy piece, a nice change of pace.

14 – kind of Irish folky type thing. Again, not something that grabs my musical bits. Sorry.

15 – not sure who this is, sounds a bit like a cross between dido, kate nash and someone else. Its pretty and quirky though, so I likes.

16 – I’m not too sure what to think of this. On one hand it’s a screamy girl with a very bass-led band behind her. On the other hand its quite a sweet voiced girl with an electro band twiddling knobs and pressing buttons. I like the electro bit mainly, which isn’t something I’d normally say.

17 – divine comedy me thinks –meloncolic story telling with big sweepy strings and horns and harps. Not what I’d normally listen to but I like the band arrangement and the extended instrumental is aces.

18 – no idea who this is or who to compare it to for description purposes. Its quite a vocal-led stripped down bandy type thing. Bouncy and fun.

19 – I’m guessing at Rufus Wainright, both because it sounds like him and it would round the album off nicely!

20 – national anthem! Done by someone who either can’t quite play what sounds like a saxamaphone or a clarinet or can play it and deliberately messes it up.


All in all it’s a great mix. When I get my car CD player fixed it’ll be in there for a while I’m sure. If and when I get the tracklist I’m sure there are a few bands in there that I’ll look into further.

Thanks Joinee ?!!!

4 comments:

Invisible G. said...

My god, is that I think it is? Am I allowed to join?

PH said...

What do you think it is?

Claire said...

"8 – Straight Outta Surrey – I have to admit that at this point I googled and found the artist to be Mr B the gentleman rhymer. This track just needs a mix video of classic cricket and the original one."

I love Mr B. The day he sent me a myspace message was a great one indeed...

Cxx

NTG said...

THE BIG REVEAL!! - Mr Captain James Amazing was the mixer and here is his mix:

1 – Rufous Wainwright - Zing! Went The Strings of my Heart
From the very very Gay Album that is Rufus does Judie Live at Carnahie Hall
I find a lot of his more melancholy stuff more difficult to listen to, but I love his more upbeat stuff. Especially when it gets so damned camp

2 – Paul Gunn & The Chap - The Art of Seduction and Hat Doffing

This is from an Album that was made by The Chap Magazine... I don't know if you can get it anymore...

3 – Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip - The Beat That My Heart Skipped from the Album Angles
I bloody love these guys - And Scroobius Pip is just an incredibly impressive wordsmith... Check them out

4 – I'm From Barcelona - We're From Barcelona From the album Let Me Introduce My Friends
An utterly brilliant but really rather insane 30 piece band from Sweden... Deliriously happy live band

5 – Frank Turner - Substitute from the Album Love, Ire and Song
He is definately worth checking out (You may have heard Siobhan talk about him... a lot) This is his 2nd album (and before that he did 2 eps) and he is gradually getting less political and Angry. Although Thatcher F*cked the Kids from his first EP is still one of my favourite Frank Turner Songs. I added this mainly because I love the line "If music be the food of Love, then I'd be a fat romantic slob"

6 – Laura Marling - Cross Your Fingers from the Album Alas, I cannot Swim
Really been going through a bit of a chilled out acousticcy kind of phase - and this girl is like 16 or 17 or something sickening. She is really chilled and nice

7 - MGMT - Kids from the Album Oracular Spectacular
I love this album - it is very synthy with a sort of tribal drum thing - It is awesome

8 – Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer - Straight Out Of Surrey - Correct. I love this guy. And he's really nice. I got this from his EP at a live show "EPleased to meet you" - though he should have an album out soon called "Flatteries not included"


9 – Misty's Big Adventure - Home Made War from the Album Funny Times (though from your description I think I may have 9 and 10 mixed up) - I love Misty's Big Adventure - they are my favourite band. They have 6 or 7 albums and they have never done 2 songs that sound the same.... Don't write them off. And actually... go see them live. Because they are astounding... and you'll definately find something in their collection that does grab you


10 – Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - (Are You) The One That I've Been Waiting For from the Album The Boatman's Call - (Although your description makes me thing THIS may be Home made war...) I'm just gettnig into Nick Cave and I think some of his stuff is amazing and some is too intense. I just love the wording in this song...

11 – The Puppini Sisters - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (From Company cool.gif from the Album Betcha Bottom Dollar - I love this arrangement. I have a couple of other versions of the song (The Andrews Sisters etc) but they're all too slow this one is so zesty and upbeat and good for me to practice my swing dancing with...

12 - Neutral Milk Hotel - Oh Comely from the Album In The Aeroplane Over the Sea
As a rule, I have to agree with you. Biddle loves Neutral Milk Hotel and has given me all their albums. This is the only song I have managed to get into... But I love it. I think it is because I focus a lot on lyrics when I listen to songs.

13 – Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position - from the Album The Magic Position
It does appear that I like my music quite camp...

14 – Piratechno - Murphy's Law
I think I like this band because I went to a hiphop night in Brighton and they were the headline act. They came on dressed as Pirates and sang Sea Shanties....

15 – Regina Specktor - Fidelity from the album Begin to Hope
You've pretty much summed her up perfectly - I think you'll really like her, check her out

16 – Robots in Disguise - Turn it Up from the album Get Rid
I went through a phase of really liking this band - mainly because of their superbly anarchic live shows. Their songs are actually pretty dreadful. Apart from this one. Which I really like still.

17 – The Divine Comedy - Our Mutual Friend from the Album Absent Friends
I love this song for the exact reasons you've listed. Hopefully through this CD you've realised that I love storytelling in lyrics and I love sweeping string sections. This song gives me goosebumps

18 – Vampire Weekend - M79 from the album Vampire Weekend
Never has a band sounded less like their name! Get this album. It is going to be the most joyful sunny album you've bought this year. I really love it. Again I like this song best because of the strings

19 – The Dresden Dolls - Sex Changes from the album Yes Virginia
Gothis double act who right about self harm, suicides, rape, abortions but with really happy upbneat piano part. I like them because listening to them feels naughty

20-Misty's Big Adventure - The Bloody National Anthem from their album Grumpier Fun which you could only buy at their gigs and had a whole lot of random experimental stuff on it. And because I had 30 seconds to spare